Driving in the EU post Brexit

Posted by admin on  |  Category:

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal it is very likely that drivers will need to obtain and carry a copy of a Green Card with them whilst driving in a European Economic Area (EEA) country. 

What is a Green card and what is it used for?

A Green Card is an internationally recognised document that acts as proof of insurance in Europe. While it’s no longer required in some countries, it is Thompson & Richardson`s recommendation that all drivers take one so that it will make it easier if you need to make a claim or exchange details with another driver.

Why do I need a Green card?

If you are going to be abroad after Brexit, the current expectation is that you will need to obtain a Green Card before travel and must carry the Green Card with you at all times. If you do not obtain a Green Card you will be breaking the law of the EEA countries you are driving in. Not being able to provide proof of insurance could lead to the vehicle being seized, the driver being accused/charged with driving without insurance and subjected to a fine.

Is there a fee for a Green card?

There is no additional fee but many insurers will make an administration charge or may charge for extending comprehensive cover outside the UK - this is sometimes called “green card cover”.


Whether you are a haulage or courier business operating in and out of Europe or planning on a small trip to France with your family, motor insurance is likely to change. Please get in touch with us to discuss this further.